THE Chipata Magistrates’ Court has threatened to discontinue the case where a UPND official is charged with seditious practices if the State will not be ready to continue with trial at the next hearing next February.
Magistrate Philip Mpundu also warned that the case would go ahead with or without the defence lawyer when the matter comes up for continued trial in February.
“If the defence lawyers will not come, we are going to continue with the trial and to balance the scale, the case will be discontinued if the State is not going to be ready in February when the case would come up for continued trial. This case has dragged, it started in September last year,” he said.
This is the matter where UPND deputy national chairperson for youth and sport Michael Chuzu is charged with seditious practices contrary to section 57(1) (b) of the penal code cap 87 of the Laws of Zambia.
It was alleged that on September 26, 2016, in Chipata, Chuzu, with intent to raise discontent among Zambians, uttered and published seditious material concerning
the government of the Republic of Zambia to the effect that his party and himself did not recognise President Edgar Lungu.
Magistrate Mpundu said it was unfortunate that the case had been dragging since November last year and that the adjournments were being occasioned by both the State and the defence.
He said he would not entertain any further adjournments in the matter.
Chuzu is charged with seditious practices contrary to section 57(1)(b) of the penal code cap 87 of the Laws of Zambia.
When the case came up yesterday, Chuzu informed the court that his lawyer was not before court, prompting the magistrate to adjourn the matter to January 19, 2018 for mention and February 15 and 16, 2018 for trial.