“banner728.gif"

Sable complains over govt’s non-payment for road works

SABLE Construction Company director Nazir Alloo says the company has gone for two years without being funded by the government for work on the Chipata’s Kalindawalo road.

After being asked by Breeze FM on Thursday that people were complaining that the contractor briefly went to the site this year but later left, Alloo said whenever he had resources, he tries to do what he can.

“That particular project, it has taken me almost two years without funding, including paying people salaries has become a nightmare now. So whenever I do get resources from other avenues, I try to put it there so that I can protect the underline layers (of the road) so that they don’t get damaged. So there is no funding, what do you expect me to do?” he asked.

Alloo said Chipata projects had taken two years without funding.

“…but anyway they are promising us with funding but I don’t know when that would happen, you know,” he said.

Last month housing and infrastructure minister Ronald Chitotela said the government would summon Sable Contractors following numerous complaints that he had received over the company’s alleged poor workmanship.

“We will summon Sable because this is the biggest cry from the people of Eastern Province, so when we get to Lusaka we are going to call the company,” he said.

Chitotela said his ministry had never given Sable any contract and that the contracts the company had were long outstanding ones.

The minister said this when he paid a courtesy call on Eastern Province minister Makebi Zulu.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *