“banner728.gif"

Mambwe man dies in a cold night inferno

A 35-YEAR-OLD man of Mambwe district has been burnt to ashes after his house caught fire as he slept while drunk.

Eastern Province police commissioner Luckson Sakala confirmed the incident yesterday and named the deceased as Patrick Banda.

“We received a report of sudden and natural death through Mambwe police station which was reported by Hudson Banda aged 45 of Mauto village chief Jumbe. He reported on behalf of his young brother Patrick Banda of the same address now deceased. On 10th June 2018 around 23:00 hours, there was a fire accident when the late was asleep,” he said.

Sakala explained that the deceased had gone to drink kachasu [an illicit traditional brew] and felt cold on his way back to the village.

“So he picked some fire and he wanted to warm himself up in the house upon arrival. Unfortunately, he was in a drunken stupor. When he reached home, he slept and same fire extended to the house. It was a big fire that even the villagers failed to have him rescued, as a result he got burnt to ashes,” he said.

Sakala said relatives were advised to bury the remains immediately as it was burnt to ashes.

He indicated that police did not suspect any foul play.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *