THE 93rd Zambia National Agricultural and Commercial Show will go on as planned and preparations are already advanced, Agricultural and Commercial Society of Zambia has announced.
Briefing the press yesterday following a letter from Ministry of Agriculture that indicated that agriculture and commercial shows in Lusaka, Southern and Western provinces would not take place owing to crop failure, Agricultural and Commercial Society of Zambia president Caroline Silwamba assured the 2019 exhibitors that the show scheduled for July 31 to August 5 would go as planned.
“I would like to clarify on the letter content from the Ministry of Agriculture which has been circulating on social media in which there has been misconceptions that all shows in the country are affected. Contrary to this misunderstanding, all the other shows will take place, including the Zambia National Agricultural and Commercial Show held in the Showgrounds along Great East Road in Lusaka,” Silwamba explained.
According to a letter from the Ministry Agriculture, government has cancelled Agriculture and Commercial Shows in Lusaka, Westren and Southern province.
The letter written by the Minsistry’s Permanent Secretary Songowayo Zyambo stated that the three regions experienced crop failure.
But Silwamba said exhibitors that had already acquired exhibition spaces should not panic or get worried and she invited other would be exhibitors to get on board.
“As the information indicated from the Ministry, the cancelled shows are only the three provincial shows in Western, Southern and Lusaka provinces. I would like to emphasised that the 93rd Zambia National Agricultural and Commercial Show will go as planned and preparations are already advanced. We wish to assure our esteemed 2019 exhibitors, members of the Show Society and the general public through you the media that the Agricultural and Commercial Show scheduled for 31st July to 5th August, under the theme ‘Embracing Industrial Development’, will go as planned. Our exhibitors that have already acquired exhibition spaces should not panic or get worried and we are calling upon other would be exhibitors to come on board. You are welcome to acquire exhibition stands for their products and services. We still have available spaces for all exhibitors, including foreign companies,” she said.
Silwamba further said the Show Society regreted the crop failure in the highlighted provinces but empahised that farmers from the affected provinces willing to participate in the Lusaka show were welcome.
She further clarified assertions that the Lusaka Show would be moved to another location as quoted in some sections of the media.
She said that where the Showgrounds sat was a permanent place and that the new structures and facilities showed that the Society aimed at modernising the premises.
“There will be more opportunities offered during the show such as workshops that will cover important topics in agriculture, commerce, fisheries and livestock. As I conclude, I wish to reiterate that our Show will never move to another location as it was rumoured on social media and traditional media platforms last year. This is our permanent place. As you may have seen, we are constructing new facilities aimed at modernising the Showgrounds. I further call upon our cooperating partners to continue supporting the Society to host a success show. To the showgoers, I encourage you to come in numbers to see what we will put in place for you,” said Silwamba.