Mother-in-law testifies in Ng’ambi assault case

A 62-YEAR-OLD woman has told the Ndola High Court how she saw the swollen face of her daughter who was beaten by PF Chifubu member of parliament Frank Ng’ambi.

This is in a case where Ng’ambi is charged with acts intended to cause grievous harm.

It is alleged that on June 7, 2019, Ng’ambi, with intent to maim, disfigure or disable, did cause grievous harm to Agness Ng’ambi, his wife.

In July this year, the Ndola Magistrates’ Court committed Ng’ambi to the High Court for trial in a case he is accused to assaulting his wife.

Ng’ambi has pleaded not guilty to one count of causing grievous harm to his wife.

When the matter came up today before Ndola High Court judge Yvonne Chembe for trial, the 62-year-old woman told court that Agness was her daughter married to Ng’ambi for 20 years now.

Silla Lukunka told court that on the material day, around 10:00 hours, she received a call from Ng’ambi, who told her that he and Agness were having issues.

“When he called me I expected the news to be about her granddaughter getting married but was told that things were not fine because Agnes was having extra affairs in the marriage. I proceeded to go to Ndola from Luanshya after I knocked off at 16:00 hours on that day. I dropped off at Fatmols lodge (lodge belong to Ng’ambi) and was picked by Ng’ambi and we proceeded to Mitengo at home. When we got home, we proceeded to the sitting room and Ng’ambi explained to her that her daughter had fallen while at her uncle’s house. Ng’ambi then went to the bedroom and came out after five minutes. Two minutes after that, Agness also came out but was holding the walls for support as she was limping,” Lukunka told the court.

“He then informed me that there was an issue at home which was embarrassing but he did not want other family members to know about it. Ng’ambi explained that when he was selected as MP, they were told as MPs that if they didn’t pay attention to their marriages at home, that would be how some marriages end. At one point, he was supposed to go to Solwezi and they needed to sleep in Kitwe. However, he decided to proceed home to Ndola at 18:00 hours but he did not find Agnes. He tried her line but her phone was not going through. At around 19:00 hours, he decided to call her daughter who also had no idea where her mother was. At 21:00 hours, he went outside and got into the car so as to go to the police station, but he saw her coming with a car.”

Lukunka explained that Agness told Ng’ambi that she was coming from Chilanga mulilo.

“After they came from confirming that she was at the Chilanga mulilo, he got her phone and wanted to check what was in the phone. He found that she was calling other men, who among them, was a doctor soldier. I asked my daughter whether it was true and she admitted that it was true. Ng’ambi then allegedly called the doctor who refused to come. The next day after she returned to Luanshya, Ng’ambi called her at around 16:00 hours telling her that there was another issue. He then told me that he had brought my daughter back and that the marriage had failed. It was alleged that the reason it had ended was because a man only known as Boyd called my daughter and he knew about it because he had taped all the phones, including those of his children and that his informer told him so. He was annoyed at Agnes and he hit her with his hand and told her that she needed to grow up and needed prayers.”

She testified that Ng’ambi then demanded that his wife should apologise before he left.

“He then asked her to say she was sorry before he could leave and that was when she knelt and started asking for forgiveness. She then said she only used to agree to the affairs because she wanted him to stop beating her. But in response he said he had played with her mind. After that when I remained with my daughter, I gave her food, but noticed that she wasn’t eating to which my daughter who was covered in a long dress which covered most of her face only leaving the nose and eyes removed it and then I noticed cuts in the mouth of daughter who said she could not eat anything. I tried to go and remove her clothes in the bedroom, but my daughter complained of body pain, crying that she had been kicked, beaten and stepped on,”she told court.

“I then rushed her to the hospital at 04:00 hours but could not be treated at Thomson hospital because they needed a police report. I then rushed to the police station but was told that she could only be issued with one where the incident happened. I then rushed back instead to Luanshya Hospital where she was attended to. Later that day, we rushed back to hospital and Ng’ambi was informed about it. When he came back, he pleaded that Agnes be removed from hospital because what would follow would not be good. He said he had made a mistake taking her to Luanshya and he started showing her photos circulating on social media,” Lukunka told court.

Trial continues.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *